Friday 23 December 2011

Corporate responsibility

I wrote a blog last night. You might be aware of that.

But I also wrote some disparaging tweets on the same subject. The blog was, to quote bloggers I have a lot of respect for, 'well written' and 'crystal clear that it was my opinion', which is very gratifying and thanks to all who have tweeted me. The tweets I wrote were not so objective, to the point where, taken alone, I'm just slagging off someone else's beer.

What I failed to grasp at the time was that my twitter account is viewed under the Hardknott banner, I hadn't even put a disclaimer in my twitter bio. I have always viewed it as my own personal venting outlet, whether venting an immature joke or my displeasure at a beer.

Publicly, I want to apologise to Dave and Ann for any possible sullying of the Hardknott name. Obviously this wasn't my intention, I'm committed to building our brand and working with all of our brand partners in Cumbria and beyond. I'd also like to make public my apology to James and those at Brewdog, I acted unprofessionally in terms of my responsibility to Hardknott.

I'm slowly realising now that the blog, if re-posted wouldn't be offensive, it would still be a bit of a dig, but I think it was balanced and clearly my opinion. However, being such an incompetent blogger, and being half asleep when I took the decision to remove it, the post is now lost. If anyone, by some stupidly remote chance, got a screen cap, I'd certainly be grateful.

I've tweeted to say that I'm off twitter until the New Year. I may be back before then but with a different username/bio. Likewise with this blog, I'll have a play with the name and change things around to make it clear its not affiliated with Hardknott.


Merry Christmas.

5 comments:

  1. Don't be away too long Alex, shame about the post being lost.

    All the best mate, I hope you have a great Christmas and New Year sinking some equally great beers. Cheers mate

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tricky one, being affiliated to a brand name, especially if you also want to be a citizen blogger, as I know you do.

    I'm sure you realise; you can return posts to "draft" status, edit and re-post or not as you please.

    In any case, it's all part of this silly PR game we get caught up in. Don't be away too long.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read your offending post, it wasn't too bad - not sure a marketing campaign can make beer taste better.

    You've probable done wonders for their marketing - I've never heard of this beer before, although looking at the website I might stay clear, bad memories from Top Dog / Hooch of the 90s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave,

    Thanks for your comment, however I need to point out that Brewdog do make some phenomenal beers and Punk IPA, when on form, is sensational. It was a staple beer for me for a long while. In fact, if you're free on the 25th January, we're hosting a Brewdog Burns Night at the Derby Arms in Witherslack, I'd encourage you to come along and try some of their beers. It is a far cry from the days of Hooch!

    My point is that it was bad form for me to tweet what I did and I'm deeply sorry to all those I've embarassed with my actions.

    Bossman,

    Thanks for your support, see you after Chrimblymas.

    Phil,

    The post being lost is what's frustrating me the most, as the blog post was quite balanced, way more so than the tweets. All a question of the time of day, if it had happened a few hours later I'd have thought about it all more clearly.

    Merry Christmas, I hope its a good one for you.

    Best Wishes to all,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alex

    I have a copy of your blog. DM me your email or I can copy it into a comment for this blog.

    Have a great Christmas

    Rick

    ReplyDelete